Campaign of the Month: October 2010
Wyrmshadow Campaign Setting
Wyrmshadow - Civilizations: Merus Akuai
Long ago, the aquatic elves lived in a castle of glass and sandstone along the Southern coast of the main continent of Wyrmshadow. Thousands of years ago, these coastal elves spent as much time above the waves as below.
Merus changed all that when he severed his ties with the High Elven Court of Quae Elfien and migrated his people south, deep into the ocean, to build an empire of his own. Merus Akuai was built on the edge of a rich deposit of rare deep-earth minerals along the Southern Shoal Shelf, within the southernmost reaches of the Aega Basin. It became the central hub of the Undertides.
- Merus Akuai and the Outlying Regions
- The City of Merus Akuai is connected to its surrounding regions by a series of magical rapid transit currents that crisscross the oceanic “sky” over the city.
- The two northernmost outposts, Goukuul and Vil’hayle, are hotbeds of violent activity between the Aquatic Elves and the Sahuagin tribes that inhabit much of the region to the north and west of Merus Akuai
- The Rheghen and Vostauch Provinces are heavily populated areas where the majority of the Gentry (the second-lowest run of the Merusian caste system) live and thrive. These areas are analogous to a suburb of a surface city, though they are distant enough from the main city that the upper classes of Royalty and Loyalists are not forced to commingle with the Gentry overmuch.
- The Frahn and Sli’yall Highridges are artificial fortifications disguised as part of the natural oceanic floor, affording the city added protection from the Naga. In the year 1 YE there was a peaceful resolution to the long-standing hostilities between Merus Akuai and the Naga city of Lossarill, rendering the Highridges a moot effort and an example of the extreme Merusians were willing to go to in order to isolate themselves from even their aquatic neighbors.
- Tidewake is a work camp for the miners who toil in The Forge, deep within the Trench of Akuai. Silas Vale, the reborn God of Death, began his quest to gain the support of the Aquatic Elves in the Liberation War. )These adventures took place in sessions 29-32 of Wyrmshadow: Broken Home).